Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Colored Pencil Lark

Riverbank Willow, 9" X 14", 2006, inquire here for print.
Ever try to work with something you never tried before?  I just wanted to see if I could do it.  I had been reading about Prismacolor and all its wonderful luminous possiblities.   I've been using this coloring medium for years in illustration in a completely different way into pen and ink understructure.  I just had to have a whack at this as an example of colored pencil alone.  I think of this as a road test for a possible new direction.  The actual piece is a bit softer, less contrasty. 

As  for the scene, it reminds of the little people.  There aren't any in it though--then it would be mere illustration.  I'm trying to remain respectable here. 

I took some work down to a respectable Annapolis gallery right on the main drag next to the warf--you know, where they used to sell slaves.  The lady looked at my work and eventually asked what I did for a living.  I proudly told her I was an illustrator.  She retorted all too quickly, "Oh we don't show illustrators work here".  "But I'm not showing illustration I'm showing art," I said.  Her look told me to pack up my sorry crap and get out.  I asked if I could have a look around.  She said, "sure".  As I made my way to the very back of the gallery there it was--a scratchboard illustration of a frickin elephant.  I busted out laughing, made my way to the front of the place and out.  To this day I would rather pull my fingernails out than go to an art gallery.  OK that's a bit harsh.  But I never mention I'm an illustrator to maintain respect.

Meanwhile, I showed this to some art directors as a prime example of colored pencil virtuousity and they tended to say "...yeah, but it doesn't say anything--to be a great illustration it has to say something."

Wm

3 comments:

John Brisson said...

Wm...I have spent time this morning enjoying your art, but even more your words. It looks like you've only been blogging a short time, but I'm hoping you find more to share with us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wim, thanks for coming to my (old:) blog cestandrea and leaving a comment there, giving me the opportunity to discover your art too! Wow, I am impressed by this painting, and your fine use of the Prismacolor pencils....

This painting and specially the "Along the Gunpowder reminds me of a painting with "just" trees, a wooded trail, which I had the occasion to look at very often for 4 years lying on a couch ;) I loved it and everytime I looked at it I saw new shapes, new meanings...never got tired of looking at it. Your paintings are like that! Have a great week, and don't hesitate to come to my new blog diary "Parisdreamtime"...

William Cook said...

Thank you so much for stopping by, and for taking note of this prismacolor piece. I'm thinking of reposting that Gunpowder piece, I've discovered a shot of it in a previous state that might be interesting to talk about. Wm